12.5.09

Raise your hand if you see this one coming...

You know, apart from the issues I already have with drilling for oil, somehow I feel like there may be even more concerns with this particular project:



What you're looking at are the Siberian wetlands (didn't know they had those in Siberia, actually) with a precariously-perched oil rig in the middle of it.

Okay, there are two problems with this. The first should be obvious: they're WETLANDS. You know, home to thousands of species of birds, fish, amphibians and whatever else lives in wetlands. I can't imagine the existence of an oil rig in this area is going to do much for the natural real estate. The second should also be obvious: sooner or later, something terrible is going to happen to that oil rig. You can imagine the scene playing out like some Monty Python routine.

Russian Oil Expert:
Listen, comrades.  I've built this oil company up from nothing.  When I started here, all there
was was wetland. All the other oil magnates said I was daft to build a castle in the wetlands,
but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the wetland. So, I built a second one.
That sank into the wetland. So I built a third one. That burned down,
fell over, then sank into
the wetland. But the fourth one stayed up. An' that's what
you're gonna get, comrades -- the
strongest oil rig in these wetlands.

Nothing good is going to come of this, I promise you that.

No comments: