28.1.09

Food For Thought

Surprise, surprise. You mess with nature, you get unintended consequences. According to this article provided by the Environmental News Network, scientists attached to the Nature Institute have begun tracking all the wild and wacky side effects associated with feeding genetically modified food to various test animals.

Am I the only one totally not shocked by this? I'm all for progress, but the idea of genetically modified food has always been kind of scary to me -- I mean, nature puts genes in order for a reason, right? Who are we to monkey with it? And what happens in the long term when we start changing the fundamental building blocks of life?

I'm by no means a traditionalist -- I believe a lot of things need to start changing if we're going to save the planet and ourselves -- I'm just not sure that playing God with our food is the right way to go.

Comments and thoughts appreciated, as always!

No comments: