26.1.09

I knew there was a reason...

...everyone was so excited about electing Barack Obama as the new President of the U.S.

According to the Environmental News Network, President Obama is planning to revisit a California proposal to impose limits on CO2 emissions produced by civilian vehicles. The proposal was (surprise surprise) turned down by the Bush administration, but Obama is interested enough in California's desire to cut their emissions by 30% over the next seven years that he's willing to give the plan another chance.

The full article is here.

I foresee only one negative out of this whole situation, and it's a bigger-picture problem. I know that Obama's policies sound great on paper, and doubtless he's a fantastic public speaker, but what his supporters both south of the border and here in Canada need to remember is that all this much-touted "change" is not going to appear overnight, or probably even in the first year. Case in point, it's going to take California until 2016 to reduce their toxic emissions by a third. At that rate, I'll be going through my midlife crisis and menopause by the time they drop their emissions to zero (if they actually could, which they can't). My point is, give the guy time to work. Change is coming, I'm sure of it, but it's not going to be as simple as some people seem to think.

Just food for thought.

No comments: